Monday, August 1, 2011

Sock Summit has changed my life

I'm sitting in the Portland airport waiting for my flight home from Sock Summit.  This was my first Sock Summit, actually it was my first knitting conference.  It was a fabulous experience.  I could even call it life-changing.

I get very introspective after conferences.  I thought it was just work conferences that brought this out in me (“Am I going in the right direction?  Am I really doing what I want?  What do I think about x, y, or z?”).  But it seems a knitting conference does the same thing.  I think it has to do with being part of something larger than yourself – sharing this intense experience focused in just one area for a brief period of time.

I've been thinking a lot about what it means to be a member of this knitting community, and what I want out of it.  I have basically been a lurker until now.  I'm on Ravelry and read a number of knitting-related blogs, but rarely comment or venture out of my little bubble.  At Sock Summit I was in awe of the people who were meeting their on-line friends for the first time and the depth of connection that they had.  So - I'm deciding to put myself out there and start a blog.

I thought about what I have to share with others in our knitting world.  I have learned so much this past year about getting knits to fit me and my plus-size body that I thought that might be something people could be interested in.  I will be sharing what I have learned from other, much more talented people than I.  This blog will address how I take what I have learned from these people and apply it to myself.

Will anyone read it?  Probably not.  Do I want people to read it?  Actually, I'm not sure.  Writing about my size and weight is hard - but if it will help other people as I've been helped by what I have learned, I think I can take that risk.

Welcome to the journey.

No comments:

Post a Comment