Thursday, August 18, 2011

Gauge matters

I spent some time this weekend with my Radian Yoke Pullover to figure out what went wrong.  One word - gauge.

I know the importance of gauge.  I know the importance of swatching.  I did, in fact, swatch for this project AND got gauge.  So what went wrong?  I didn't wash my swatch.  I don't usually wash my swatches.  I will from now on -- Especially when working with cotton.  What started out at 5 1/2 stitches per inch after washing ended up as 5 stitches per inch.  The effects of a 1/2 stitch per inch are dramatic when working on a garment-size number of stitches.  When working on a plus-size garment - the effects can be devastating.  My top grew 5 inches - FIVE INCHES from what may seem a measly 1/2 stitch per inch.

I've decided not to re-knit this - at least not now.  I'm putting the yarn away until next spring to see how I feel about it.  I think the top may end up going to Goodwill.  Haven't decided yet.

In the meantime, I'm knitting socks.


No comments:

Post a Comment