Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Learning new things

It's day 3 of Ysolda's class.  I'm already behind, but I'm OK with that because I'm already learning things and gaining insight.  I didn't buy yarn for the class because I figured I could knit from my stash.  I have some DK weight yarns in sweater quantity and I need to knit down my stash.  Not to mention my bank account would appreciate it.  I went to the ATM today to get $$ and was surprised by my balance.  It's only the 6th of the month - what happened?  Oh yeah, grief induced yarn shopping.  That needs to go somewhere in my knitting stages of grief - hmmm.... but I digress.

Oh, yeah - back to what I'm learning in Ysolda's class.  She suggests we use a DK weight wool or wool-blend yarn for our Blank Canvas sweater.  It will be a while until we get to the actual sweater - but this week we are covering selecting yarn for a project.  I went to the stash to see what I had in DK weight in potentially sweater quantity.  I was shocked.  Almost all of it was cotton or linen!  Huh?  That can't be right - I live in Wisconsin.    More importantly, cotton and linen have no elasticity.  They are difficult to knit and to get the fit right.  I re-read some of my earlier posts and looked at my Ravelry project page.  A lot of my sweater knitting recently has been summer garments.   The lightbulb started to come on.  Try learning about fit with more forgiving fibers.

I think I need to buy more yarn.


No comments:

Post a Comment